Physical and Health Education is an integral part of the education process and emphasizes the importance of achieving and maintaining a healthy level of physical fitness. Participation in Physical Education helps improve the mental, social and physical wellbeing of all students. The goal of Physical Education is to encourage students to participate and develop an interest in physical activities with an emphasis on physical fitness. Components of physical fitness (strength, endurance, speed, agility, and flexibility) are stressed during the warm-up and reinforced during the subsequent activity. Students will learn to demonstrate competency in many movement forms. Students will gain an understanding of the personal and social effects of physical exercise and wellness.
Our curriculum matches that of the Massachusetts Comprehensive Health Curriculum Frameworks and we are philosophically aligned with the standards from the National Association for Sport and Physical Education.
- Our Physical and Health Education vision in the Acton-Boxborough schools is that all students will understand, appreciate and engage in a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Our mission is to provide a progressive and comprehensive Physical and Health Education program using research-based and high quality instruction. Students will develop skills and knowledge through a wide variety of learning experiences in a safe environment. Students will also learn how and why they should keep themselves healthy and physically active throughout their lifetimes. Instruction will emphasize physical fitness, skills application, critical thinking, decision-making, sportsmanship and cooperation.
Read the Program of Studies for detailed course descriptions.
- Grade 9- Fitness for Living
- Grades 10-12- Physical Education
- Grades 11-12 -Physical / Health Education
- Grade 10-12- Fitness for Living Student Leader
David James, Chairperson for Physical/Health Education Grades 9-12
Telephone: (978) 264-4700 extension 3482
Fax: (978) 266-1133